Wednesday, January 16, 2008



I have just returned from a 3 week whirlwind trip through California. During that time, I think I visited almost every person I am related to in California and Nevada! Fortunately I had the change to take a few photos on the way.

Before flying back to the US, I took a 10 week photography course (here in Amsterdam) and an important lesson I learned was...If you don't stop to take pictures, you will never get better. Now, I don't mean snapshots of your family alone, I mean seeing something beautiful and trying to transpose that image on to a digital chip.



Did my photography course help? Absolutely. But then so did the location and the practice. Knowing how my camera works helps me technically, but California provided the rest. The buildings, the beaches, the sunsets, the mountains, it was all so....majestic. And I think a few of my photos turned out ok...






Huntington Beach Pier at Sunset
















The Disney Concert Hall















Tess and Rosie in Genoa, Nevada






Taking beautiful photos in California isn't much of a challenge. There is so much to work with, you just have to point and click. Literally.






This photo was taken from inside a car







Holland does have beautiful nature, but it's not as gracefully present as it is in California. Now my challenge is to see the Netherlands in all of it's natural beauty and capture that on camera. Will I find what I am looking for?

1 comment:

Kapuananiokalaniakea said...

Welcome to the blogoshpere.

The lesson you learned about photography is the same lesson I just learned about writing -- if you don't do it, you will never get better.

Your pictures are gorgeous!! The pier at sunset perfectly captures the essence of gold. And the photo you took from inside the car leaves me breathless.

Thank you for sharing.